Interesting Links [0x05]
Today’s topic is about ‘Advice’. Plenty of them out there on the Internets, and that’s one thing that you can get for free, solicited or otherwise. The thing with them sometimes, is that often you can get conflicting advice, and they usually can be both right, and wrong at the same time.
Here’s my small collection of them - read, enjoy, and don’t get too serious!
- Curse of the Gifted
Eric Raymond advising Linus Torvalds on the need for discipline vs. innate raw talent
- The Art of Saying ‘No’
- German Solders and UNIX Worse is Better
One of those circumstantial advices, re: thinking on your feet vs. serious considered thoughts
- Stop Misquoting Donald Knuth!
Supposedly we’ve taken ‘premature optimization is the root of all evil’ a little too far…
- The Programming Talent Myth
And I always thought I was a genuis - damn!
- What do the Top 1% of Software Engineers do that 99% do not
But wait, I can get on top of the bell-curve?
- What Makes a Great Software Engineer
And here’s how to check out if I made the cut
- What I Wish I Knew When Starting Out as a Software Developer - Slow the Fuck Down!
Haste is waste
- You Ain’t Gonna Need It
If there’s only 1 advice you can take, this will be it. And wear sunscreen.
TBH, jokes would be a better mirror of reality than any advice. It’s also good to keep a few nerd jokes to show the ladies that we can be smart and funny too!
- What is Your Best Programmer Joke?
- What’s the Nerdiest Pickup Line You Know
The statement is a joke in itself